Green Fact Sheet
The Red Shredder’s Green Fact Sheet
As a Florida-based shredding company, we believe in keeping our community beautiful. Although we are The Red Shredder, we think Green.
- The average person generates 4.5 pounds of trash every day & about 1.5 tons of solid waste per year. (Note: Floridians produce about 9 lbs. of trash per day, twice the national average)
- Although the EPA estimates that 75 percent of solid waste is recyclable, only about 30 percent is actually recycled.
- Overall, the United States ranks far below the leading countries for recycling.
Paper & Wood
Each ton (2000 pounds) of recycled paper can save:
- 3.5 cubic yards of landfill
- 17 thirty foot (pulp) trees
- 7,000 gallons of water
- 380 gallons of oil
- 4100 kwh of energy
- And, at the same time eliminate 60 pounds of air pollutants
- The amount of wood and paper we throw away each year is enough to heat 50,000,000 homes for 20 years.
- Our nation now dumps between 300 million and 400 million electronic items per year, and less than 20% of that e-waste is recycled.
- E-waste represents 2% of America’s trash in landfills, but it equals 70% of overall toxic waste. The extreme amount of lead in electronics alone causes damage in the central and peripheral nervous systems, the blood and the kidneys.
Economic Benefits in Our State:
- An estimated 32,000 Floridians are employed in recycling.